Cicada Summer

Cicada Summer - Maureen Leurck Full review on my blog Caffeinated Bibliophile.

I won this in a goodreads giveaway I entered while browsing for books that weren't the genres I typically read (thanks, genre-reading-slump).

The first thing that got my attention was the part about restoring the house. I'm kind of fascinated by architecture and renovation and preserving old houses, so I thought that would be interesting to read about. (If that's not something you're into, you might want to skip this one because there's more than brief mentions of what they do to the house, which I imagine might not be thrilling for someone who doesn't care at all about that sort of thing.)

I liked the cicada theme, and I thought it was done well. The cycle of rebirths (or, more broadly, change and second chances) is a big part of this book, and I enjoyed that aspect for the most part.

Mostly, I liked Alex. She had a lot going on and her life was pretty stressful, but I think she handled everything realistically and as best she could. I was rooting for her, overall, even though there were moments I wanted to beat my head against a wall. I think I was more disappointed with the ending than a lot of people will be, but I wasn't angry about it or anything. I just hoped it would go differently. I was particularly annoyed by her ending up back with her ex at the end. I saw it coming, but ugh. I was hoping she was going to either move on with someone new, or reach a point of being happy being single.

Overall, I liked this book and I would probably recommend it.