A Model of Christian Charity

A Model of Christian Charity - John Winthrop I...don't even know how to rate this or what to say about it.

On the one hand, religions/religious groups and their history fascinates me and I typically enjoy reading and learning about them, as well as important people within those groups. On the other hand, I've been reading a lot about Puritans lately while helping someone out with a lit class, so I'm just a little sick of them at this point. This is going to be so rambly, I can feel it. Sorry.

Personal feelings aside, I did find the sermon somewhat interesting. My own beliefs are vastly different from the Puritans overall, but the idea of a community helping each other in the ways Winthrop said the Puritans should honestly doesn't sound that horrible. (I don't think being united because of Christianity is necessary for that to happen, but it would be nice to see people decide to just stop the hate and embrace the love.) However, I do have some issues with the bits about social hierarchy that suggested (or maybe said outright, I'm not sure) the poor should be obedient to the rich. It's entirely possible I misread that, but that's what I got out of it.

I have to give these people credit for one thing, if nothing else: they were just a little badass for leaving behind their homes, probably a lot of the people they knew, and setting out for a "new world" to try to do better and be better. I might not agree with their beliefs, but I admire their courage because doing what they did had to be terrifying.