Blood Promise

Blood Promise  - Richelle Mead This series is going to kill me, uuuugggh. I don't have it in me to write a real review, so the spoiler is just a lot of me rambling about this book and series and does contain spoilers.

I hate what happened with Dimitri, I hate that Rose had to suffer through attempting to kill him twice in a short space of time, I just hate it all. But I love to hate it. Or hate to love it? I figured out that Abe was her dad pretty quickly, so that wasn't particularly shocking for me. What did shock me was her mom's reaction when Rose got back to St. Vlad's and saw the scarf. I'm curious about Rose's parents, now, more than I was before.

The thing with Avery was so bizarre and really pissed me off. I figured out she was a spirit user like two seconds after she was introduced. I started to doubt it for a while, but the way Lissa started acting so weird and Avery kept pushing alcohol at her seemed too much for coincidence. Her having two people bonded to her was really weird and I wish more had been explored with that.

I'm curious about the Alchemists and hope we learn more about them in the next couple of books. I didn't really like...uh...Sydney? But I also found her kind of amusing. I'm hoping she makes an appearance again later on.

Part of me wants to cheer for Rose and Adrian and ship them, but I'm too loyal to Dimitri. Maybe it's because he reminds me so much of my husband and Rose reminds me of me, idk. I just love them and I want there to be a HEA for them. Or at least something better than what it looks like they're going to have. I accidentally spoiled myself (probably for something that doesn't happen until the last book), I think, so I'm not giving up on that hope.

I loved meeting Dimitri's family and I loved all of them. I'd like to see more of them at some point. I also thought the spirit user and shadow kissed couple Rose met were interesting, and I think they'll be showing up again, too. Lissa, Rose, and Adrian have a lot to learn still, and I'm kind of hoping for there to be some kind of gathering of the spirit users so they can all compare notes and maybe learn more about what they can do. I'm still confused about why there are so many things they can't do, like how Lissa can't dreamwalk and Adrian struggles with healing, and I don't think either of them can do the mind entering thing Oksana can do.

While I really enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down, it wasn't my favorite. It was also probably the most painful book. My heart hurt for Rose throughout the entire book, but I thought she was kind of stupid to have not considered that Dimitri would want to make her strigoi. I still think he loves her, even if he never gave that as a reason for him wanting her. Maybe that's foolish of me, but I want it to be true.