Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn Well, my original suspicion from somewhere around 25-30% was correct. I was hoping I was wrong and there would be some great twist, but it was still a well-told story.

I didn't love this book. I tried to read Gone Girl a few times and just couldn't get into it, but I decided to try this one anyway, because it fit a prompt for a read-a-thon I'm participating in this October. It's not a bad book or anything like that, I'm just not a much of a thriller-reader.

This was a tough book to get through, for me, because I found myself relating way too much to Camille. I had to put the book down a few times because of that. I liked Camille, Curry & Eileen, and John, but not really anyone else. I guess that's intentional and expected. There aren't really many likable characters in this book, which I actually liked. It's refreshing to read unlikable characters, especially women. It's a nice change from the overly-nice (whether false or natural) female characters who are basically doormats, living as they're "supposed to" because they're women. It's always interesting to me to read about women who don't fit in those boxes and actually seem like real people, flawed, rough-edged, etc.

I kept waiting for a big twist to come, but never got it. I guess Amma being the real killer of Natalie and Ann was supposed to be a surprise, but I suspected her from the first couple of chapters and was almost 100% certain it was her before I was a third of the way into the book.
I wasn't shocked at all about the Munchhausen by Proxy and Adora being responsible for Marian's death, and also poisoning Amma and Camille. I guess I was a little surprised by Adora being accused and arrested for Natalie & Ann's murders. She was my second suspect, but I thought the Amma-revealed-as-murderess "twist" was going to come out before Adora was arrested/accused for those murders. So, I guess it was a little surprising that Amma got away with it for so long.

Basically, it was pretty predictable from the very beginning, but still...saying it was a fun/enjoyable/entertaining read sounds wrong, but close enough. I don't know if I'll read any other Gillian Flynn books in the future, but this one was ok.